Monday, September 8, 2014

What's in a name....

Today was the first day of official classes at the University of Nairobi School of Public Health! With more details on my classes at the end of this week I hope to brighten your week a little with a bit of a funny story...

If you've ever thought my name, Wyatt, is hard to pronounce you're not alone. When I first arrived here in Nairobi, Victor told me that few people would be able to pronounce my name and most would believe that my name was "white". His advice was to come up with a nickname for myself. I chose my middle name, Peter. I figured that I would only need this a few times but it's officially became my name.

Today when I started classes I wrote my name on a name stand and my Epidemiology professor immediately said "do you have another name?" (followed by laughter from the class) since then I have been telling all my professors my name is Peter. And to my surprise one of my professors is named Peter. He was quite happy to find out we have the same name...he was so happy he told my classmate who is minoring in statistics that she should investigate the probability of two Peter's who both want to go into medicine (the Peter I was named after was a physician too) and eventually Public Health.

Peter it shall be. I guess I, like many of you, will see Wyatt again in December.

Have a delightful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment