Sunday, September 14, 2014

What's in a name... (Pt. 2)

The last official class I have of the week is Immersion in Another Culture which is taught by
Frances, who is also our Student Affairs Coordinator for the program. This is a 0 credit course
that meets once a week. We started the class by being baptized with our Swahili names. As we
went around we said the meaning of our names, and it got to me. Well frankly I don’t know
what Wyatt means. I do know that I was named after Wyatt Earp (a wild western lawman, and
the star of a great Kevin Costner movie).

Side story: my parents always say they just liked the name, no direct “naming after” going on but I ‘coincidently’ have an older brother named Warren. Wyatt Earp had a brother named Warren Earp. Huh.

So we got to me, and I explained this. Not-so-surprisingly there is a not a Swahili word for
cowboy, but I was given the name “askari” meaning guard/protector. I kinda like this and I
think it speaks to my personality- I like taking care of those around me.

So I guess you can just call me Peter Askari from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment