Sunday, September 21, 2014

"Make sure you have a lot of sunscreen"

Saturday was our first official outing with AU Abroad Kenya. They bussed us about an hour outside the city to the Masai lodge where we would enjoy a “nature hike” then travel to the Kitengela Glass Factory.

When we arrived at the lodge they had us order our food since it takes them a while to cook (plus there were 20 of us in total). After ordering our food, they said it was time for our “nature hike”, Victor gave us one final warning about bringing our backpacks, but I decided to keep mine to help me carry my camera as well as extra water and sunscreen. As soon as we started the hike I realized that I should have left my bag. This wasn’t a nice calm trail hike, we were jumping over streams, ducking through small clearings, and traversing over rocks. The best moment was when we had to essentially scale a wall sideways. There were few footholds, but a few ropes and vines for us to grab onto. Macho Wyatt was right behind the guide, and started right away. Well little did I know that we should grab the vines, not the ropes. Although it wasn’t as a majestic fall as I’m sure some would have hoped, my foot and ankle enjoyed a nice dip in the cool water (I do have a pretty boss-looking rope burn on my arm. I think it makes me look tough).

After this clearing we continued traversing through the wilderness. I don’t think any of us expected this nature hike to really be as much hiking as it was. As we emerged from the gorge we had been climbing in we walked up into the warm African sun we looked around at the beautiful landscape. You could see for miles. We could see the tall buildings of Nairobi in the distance, a gorgeous mountain landscape, and in the far distance our final destination.

Before we began crossing the fields that separated us and the Kitengela glass factory, we saw gazelles both from across the gorge and nearby (yeah that’s right make fun of Wyatt for bringing binoculars but then ask to borrow them – TAKE THAT!). As we continued walking we saw a group of baboons, one of which continued to stare us down. Finally, as we crossed the last road we saw a group of Zebras in the distance. It was amazing to see these animals in their natural habitat.

We reached the final obstacle to our destination: the bridge. This bridge was not a normal bridge, it was a swinging bridge that perpetually leaned to one side. After our guide signaled our arrival someone came to open the bridge for us. Only five of us were allowed on at a time and we had to stay incredibly close to each other to prevent the bridge from swinging more than it already was. I was in the last group and we all finally made it across. We had reached Kitengela Glass factory. This is a factory that takes recycled glass, melts it down, then recreates it into beautiful pieces of artwork. We were able to check out their few stores and receive a tour of the area where we watched them crafting beads and bowls. It was near impossible to not buy anything, so I picked up three things: a glass cup from the “rejects” because it had a bubble in it, rather then the powder being mixed around. I found it amazing and it is a glass that no one else in the entire world has. I also met an artist who used caps from Tusker, and wire, to create these small creatures, and I naturally bought two. This experience was amazing and the pieces they were selling were so beautiful. I was hoping to pick up more gifts, but my fear of them breaking on the trip home dissuaded me.

This glass factory was absolutely amazing and the one-of-a-kind artwork was truly incredible.

We returned to the lodge, enjoyed a wonderful lunch, then had the opportunity to swim. I decided not to swim (I was so exhausted from the hike), but soon into the swimming my friend McKinnon and I decided to go exploring. We went to a little area where we were taking some pictures when we saw a guard walk very fast towards. We thought we were going to get yelled out but after a few minutes of him watching us, he came over and started telling us how deep the water was. Then he offered to take our picture. We thought that was a bit odd, but it was also very nice. After taking a few pictures, he asked if we wanted to go down a path to another spot which we decided to do. We didn’t realize how much of a trail this would be, but it was awesome to see a tucked away area. This guard was incredibly nice, and McKinnon and I dubbed this our “honeymoon” because we are pretty sure the guard thought we were together.

After returning to the rest of the group, it was almost time to head back to our apartments. We shopped for some groceries then all made it back where most of us crashed from being so tired.

It was beautiful to get out of the city, do some hiking, and just explore Kenya for all it has to offer. I’m incredibly fortunate not only to be here right now, but to be part of such an amazing program that organizes and supervises all of these opportunities for us!

Photos from the trip click here

No comments:

Post a Comment