Sunday, September 28, 2014

Shopping Along The Way

By now we have all developed a good feeling for the area. We seem to know where we are going, and know key landmarks to help us navigate the Westlands area. This on top of my ever-improving Kiswahili skills means one very important thing:  I can now shop along the walk. All over the city there are small stands selling everything from Airtel credit, to baked goods, to fresh fruits and vegetables.

This past Tuesday I arrived back at the apartment and the housekeeper was still working, so I decided to walk around and do a bit of shopping to kill some time until she was done. I decided that I wanted to pick up a watermelon, and rather than picking one at the store I decided it was time I start the bargaining. Over the course of a few hours I visited 3 different stands, and bargained for a watermelon. At two of them, they wouldn’t go lower than 300ksh ($3.40) so I walked away. At the third stand, the one I first visited she was stuck on her price of 200ksh ($2.25). I knew I wanted to get the best deal, so I said “200, if you give me two carrots too!”. She laughed, but knew I wanted to get the most for my money. I was pleased with myself, for walking away with one of the best watermelons I have ever had, as well as two delicious carrots for my initial budget of 200ksh.

My love of fruit is very extensive, so on Thursday I decided that I wanted to track down a good deal for some more fruit! I found a small stand that we pass everyday, and he was selling fruit salads for 100ksh ($1.12). I decided to buy one and it was incredibly delicious!

I am really starting to enjoy “shopping along the way”. It’s nice to be able to go to the grocery store, only pick up a few things, then on the walk back pick up all the fruits and vegetables I need – at an incredibly good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment