Tuesday, September 23, 2014

KST vs. WST

Early in my time here I was introduced to the phrase “Kenya Standard Time”. This isn’t an actual time-zone but more the time that people operate at. For example, you call a taxi they tell you two minutes, it turns out to be five minutes. Five minutes becomes ten minutes, and anything over ten is really a guess as to when they will get there.

Now, I know what you’re thinking “Well Wya..err Peter, it’s because of the traffic. Duh..” Well you’re almost right. Let me provide further evidence for the existence of KST.

Our Kiswahili class is about an hour and half long. After an hour we are given a “five minute break”, ten minutes later we all return to our seats and talk for another five minutes before actually starting.

“Well, maybe it’s just one professor Wyatt!”

My other courses are three hours long. After about an hour and a half the professor asks us if we would like a break. We all nod, and they ask how long. Usually we say ten or fifteen. We take our break then return before the time is up. About ten minutes later the professor strolls back into the classroom and waits another five minutes.

Kenya Standard Time is very real. And my Kiswahili professor even admitted it today!

“Well what’s the problem? Everyone enjoys taking their time”

Anyone who knows me, or my family knows that punctuality is not something we joke about. I just started wearing a watch daily, so I don’t have to look at my phone all the time for the time, and it’s set a minute or two early. One of my favorite sayings is “If you’re early you’re on time, if you’re on time you’re late, and if you’re late you’re fired”. It's Wyatt Standard Time. I know, I know, it’s not a very nice saying but seriously people don’t just be on time, be early. It’s not a hard concept to grapple with!


And so the perpetual struggle of Wyatt Standard Time versus Kenya Standard Time will continue.  Despite recognizing that many of my classmates are adapting KST, I will never hesitate to use my favorite saying “Hey [insert name], did you happen to bring the tardy sauce?”. 

Don't be the one to bring the tardy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment