Thursday, October 16, 2014

An Adventure at the Market

Well today, Thursday, I decided it was finally time for me to venture to the well known Masaii Market. This market is a travelling market where individuals sell things from t-shirts and jerseys, to woodcarvings, to jewelry, to paintings, to knives and the list goes on and on.

By now, most of my classmates had gone and I was the only one holding out. I decided today was a perfect time so I dragged two friends, Lily and Sarah, along and we ventured over. When we arrived at the mall, I was eager to make it to the market and get shopping.

We arrived.

Before I could even look around I was grabbed, yes physically someone grabbed my hand, and started pulling me to their area. And so it began. Many people were calling me handsome, asking where I’m from, and overall trying their best to connect with me on a personal level.

I picked out a few things I liked, and they kept picking more for me, then the bargaining began. We worked our way to a place where we both felt comfortable at then sealed the deal. However, as that negotiation was happening other vendors were swarming like birds, waiting for their chance to swoop in. As soon as I paid and had everything bagged up, off it was being dragged to the next place and the bargaining started all over again. Saying no was near impossible, walking away was, and they even had you take a knee to see the products better (really to make it harder for you to just browse). I worked my way around, getting more than I really wanted to and more than I went in for (guess they succeeded at their jobs!) but nonetheless this means some gifts for family and friends :-)

The best story was as I was trying to leave, I was stopped again. I explained to the man all I had was 50ksh on me and nothing else (besides what I needed for my taxi fare home and my emergency stash). He asked to see it. I showed him the coins, then he asked to see a mechanical pencil I had. He said we had a deal. Little did I know I was bargaining for a small bowl the whole time, and now I’m down a pencil! As I was walking out, he hollered at me. I thought something had happened – turns out he just needed to know how to put the lead back in. Quick answer and I was finally out of there.

Well, overall I can say my first market experience was both stressful and exciting. Although I picked up quite a few gifts, I really bought more random stuff that I just thought was really cool, I guess they are “accidental” gifts or just things I will keep for myself!

Did I have fun? I guess you could call it fun.

Did I get some things I was wanting? Definitely!

Did I get ripped off and pay too much? Unfortunately. After we got back, I went through what I bought and what I spent and while the prices I paid were fair, I still should have negotiated more than I did. I guess I am not nearly as good at negotiating as I had hoped.

Am I upset about it? Not really. In the grand scheme, I got some cool things and decent prices and had quite the experience doing it.


Will I go back? Probably There are definitely a few more items I would like to pick up for people, but next time I need to make sure I only get what I need not what I think looks cool. Knowing what’s there, and already having some of the smaller things will help me focus in on those few items I still need to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment