Monday, August 25, 2014

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello and welcome to my blog!

If you're reading this it means that you're at least mildly interested in following my adventures this fall (2014), and for that I thank you! It means a lot to have you interested in what I'm doing and I hope this blog can provide some insight into my semester. I encourage you to comment, especially with questions I may be able to answer, or email me with anything at all! In this first post I'd like to talk a bit about the Who, What, Where, When, and Why of the content of this blog.

Who: Me, Wyatt Bensken, of course! However, I will not be spending the semester alone. There is a small group (about 17 of us) from American University who will be traversing through Nairobi and this semester together!

What: Semester Studying Abroad

Where: I will be spending this semester in Nairobi, Kenya. While the majority of my semester is in the city, I will be traveling outside of Nairobi multiple times for both academic and personal purposes.

When: I arrive in Nairobi on September 2 and will depart on December 21

Why: The biggest motivation behind my study abroad is the Public Health Scholars 3-Year Program at American University. I am a Scholar in this 3-year program (earning a bachelors degree in 3-years), and this study abroad experience is built in as part of the program. We had the opportunity to choose between three amazing locations: London, England; Manipal, India; and Nairobi, Kenya. I chose Nairobi because this is a part of the world that has always interested me and I've always desired to spend some time here.

This semester I will be taking Public Health classes at the University of Nairobi and will also be interning with a community-based health organization (organization TBD). While I will remain busy with academics, there will also be plenty of time for fun and exploration and I hope to capture those experiences on this blog as well.

It's impossible to predict how frequently I plan to blog - it will be very dependent on the experiences I am having but I can promise that if anything exciting happens you will hear about it on here!

I plan on writing my next post from Nairobi after two long flights!

Until then,

Wyatt Bensken

P.S. While I am gone the best option to contact me is through Facebook or Email.

No comments:

Post a Comment